Those who know me know that I seem to have an uncanny ability to get into arguments with various utility companies. Although I believe it is not so much my uncanny ability as these utility companies terrible service. That being said, I have spent the last week wasting my time on said arguments. My overall objective was to lower our monthly bills. I'm sure that sounds reasonable to everyone in these economic times. Well, humble as my objective was, it certainly came at a cost. I started with our internet service. We have had AT&T for well over a year now. We were stuck getting them when we lived in Hoover because our apartment realtors contracted the cable/internet out to a company we didn't like (and who had not actually set up the internet to our branch of apt's). So, we ended up paying for a landline (that we didn't need) and just got internet through them. And we got DirecTV. So as I was contemplating how to lower our bills, I got on the phone with Charter. (BIG mistake, have already had a falling out with them 2 years ago and swore to never go back, but money and cheaper bills come before grudges.) Charter offered me cheaper internet, I said great! They were coming the next day to set-up! Hooray! I called ATT and cancelled my internet. Charter came, said they couldn't set up my internet in the office because the cable jack was occupied by Directv. The only way was for a wireless modem to be hooked up in Tegan's room on the free jack. I said fine, what the heck? She's not using it. The not-so-brilliant technician handed me the USB adapter for my internet and told me to call Apple to get it setup since they aren't supposed to touch Macs. Ok, whatever. I'll handle it. I call Apple and the conversation goes something like this..."Oh, you don't have wireless already on your computer? No? Okay, well that will be $50 for a consultation." This is where I get aggitated, thank him promptly for nothing, and hang up. What to do now? I'm not paying $50 for someone to tell me how to turn on my internet. Sorry. Call me stubborn, I don't care. The whole point was to go CHEAPER, not blow $50 on nothing. I call Charter back, they say "Oh, it doesn't work with Macs. Why did the tech give you that? It's only for PC's." Umm, correct me if I'm wrong but I DON'T work for Charter. You tell me. I cancelled Charter immediately and they are coming to get their equipment back on Sunday. So, here I am, no internet. I call around to other places who either require cable (CHARTER!) or a landline. Neither of which I have. Low and behold, I get a letter from AT&T that afternoon offering me a great bundled package of Dish Network and Internet all for less than I was paying, and no landline! Great right?! No. I did in fact qualify as a "new customer" even though I was technically a previous customer less than 48 hours ago, but who am I to argue? They set me up, I already have the modem, I turn it on and I once again am reconnected to the 'net. Yippee. Oh wait, that's not all. Dish network!? Yay! It will be cheaper than Directv, so great! Uh-uh. I talk to Dish Network, they set up my installation for today. So today, I call Directv to cancel with them and they say okay great, we'll shut it off today, for $360. Huh? this is where I begin to lose consciousness.
When we moved to TN, we put an extra TV we had in the office, therefore needed an extra receiver. They brought it, and for no extra charge to us. Seemed okay at the time. When I went to cancel, they told me that because we added the extra receiver, we were now under an 18 month contract. @#$&$^!#(!(*)!!!!!!! Ok. Breathe. I won't go into the rest of it, but between charles and I we negotiated with Directv into a $120 credit on our account plus 6 months of free movie channels. Cancelled Dish Network and still have AT&T. Whatever. I just hope it was worth the hassle. I feel better now. I need a nap. Perhaps a martini. No olive.
Anyways, that being said, all is settled now I think. Tegan is doing well. She is scooting around this place like a maniac. If you pick her up and stand her on her feet, she will hold onto something and stand by herself. So cute! She looks like she'll be "crawling" here soon. She has started to sit up on her elbows and knees with her belly off the floor and rock back and forth. It should just be a matter of time! We spent last weekend in AL which was really fun! Charles had a funeral to go to because his uncle passed away, so he stayed in B'ham while Tegan and I went to my mom's. I had a bridal shower to go to on Saturday, which was our main reason in going to begin with. My brother left for basic training this past Tuesday (Army) so my mom has lost both of us to the military in just 3 short months! I'm hoping they'll station him here in TN! That would be nice! Tegan's hair is finally growing in!! She is no longer bald around the edges and her curls are the same as they were when she was born! I was afraid her baby hair would fall out and her real hair would come back kinky and course, but so far it seems the same! Fine and curly! Her eyes are starting to turn a greenish-brown color so I suppose she won't be a blue-eyed girl. That's okay though, still as pretty as ever! As for Charles, he starts classes next week (I believe) or maybe it's the week after? I can't remember. He has an injured foot but if he tries to do anything about they'll hold him back from class so he's trying to suck it up! Pray for him! As for me, I've been keeping busy! I just finished reading "The Pillars of the Earth" and it's sequel "World Without End" (by Ken Follett), and might I add they were AWESOME. I think they were a combined 2100+ pages, but I read them in about 2 weeks. Sooo good. If you haven't read them, you're missing out. Okay I guess that's all of my update for now! I haven't taken many new photos but will do soon! Here's some entertaining video...
2 comments:
Girl. I am exhausted for you just reading that! We went without internet for a couple of weeks when we moved because it took AT&T that long to tell us if they had a connection in our neighborhood. Luckily they do b/c we were able to get internet for $20 and no landline...I hope this is the deal you got! Charter is from the devil!
I watched your videos and I have determined that Tegan is the girl version of Sam. Let me know next time you will be in AL because I have to see these two together! I think they would be such a mess squealing and giggling all over the place!!!
Well, I'm with Katy. I'm worn out from reading all that and for you having to go through all that. Don't you just LOVE customer service these days? I know I do!!!!They all do such a wonderful job. HA!! HA!! I am loving I can talk to you and see you at the same time, go web cams. Your brother is doing fine at basic. Keep him in your prayers. Love, Mom
Post a Comment